Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Project Complete........

This has been a project of many firsts for me. First custom cake, first time using fondant, first time making a custom cake board. I'm not a professional baker not a professional decorator not a professional carpenter. I just enjoy the challenge and this project was special because it is for my sons eighteenth birthday so it meant a lot to be able to do this for him.
I must give a shout out to Bear Hollow Vintage Guitars, 345 Miracle Mile, Lebanon New Hampshire and the owner Neil for allowing me to use one of their guitars (in store) to make a template for my cake. Thanks Neil, you guys are awesome. www.bearhollowvintageguitars.com.











































Took me some time to make the template, transfer and cut out the pattern for the cake board, dowel it so the cake could stand upright, cover the board for looks and wrap the lower portion with food grade plastic, so the cake wasn't sitting on the covering. The neck sat on cake board so it was okay as is. Then make two triple batches of batter, thirty eggs etc. bake, freeze, sculpt and then the fondant and coloring. It was a bit more of a challenge then I expected but I've never backed down from a challenge.good or bad. :) Overall for a first time I think it came out pretty well.

No comments: